After a difficult 2020, we thought it would be nice to try and lift everyone’s spirits by finishing the year with a Christmas quiz.
Good Luck and try not to Google!
Category 1: Movies
- Who directed The Empire Strikes Back?
- Bob Parr is head of the family, in which series of animated films?
- In which 2002 film did Steve Coogan portray Tony Wilson, founder of Factory Records?
- Who directed The Shawshank Redemption?
- Who composed the soundtrack to the 1969 version of The Italian Job?
Category 2: Sport
- Which ex-footballer and former World Player of the Year became president of his country in 2018?
- What did the company that first sponsored the Tour de France green jersey produce?
- The sport of pelota purépecha, which is similar to hockey, originated in which country?
- Which country won the now-discontinued Baseball World Cup more than any other?
- Which fashion house has designed the on-field kit for AC Milan since 2004?
Category 3: History
- Boris Yeltsin resigned his post as president of Russia in which year?
- How many million dollars did the US pay France for “The Louisiana Purchase”?
- In what year did Mary II, Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland, die?
- Which was the first organisation to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
- Which king died in 1702 after his horse stumbled on a molehill?
Category 4: Music
- How is singer-songwriter Henry Olusegun Adeola Samuel better known?
- Who released his debut album Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ in 1973?
- What is the real name of the rapper Childish Gambino?
- Which former member of The Libertines formed the band Dirty Pretty Things?
- Break up with your girlfriend, I’m bored was a 2019 single by which singer?
Category 5: Literature
- In what decade did Lewis Carroll publish Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland?
- Who won the 2018 Booker Prize for her novel Milkman?
- Who wrote a trilogy of 1970s novels about the fictional Mallen family?
- “How use doth breed a habit in a man” is a phrase from which Shakespeare play?
- Which actor (d.2015) wrote the autobiography The World Was My Lobster?
Category 6: History
- Which fruit was known to the ancient Greeks as “the Fruit of the Gods”?
- Which US president is enshrined in the Wrestling Hall of Fame having had over 300 matches and only one defeat?
- In which decade did Algeria gain independence from France?
- In what century did the Aztecs found the city of Tenochtitlan?
- In 1804 the world’s population reached what milestone?
Category 7: TV
- Killing Eve was adapted from novels by Luke Jennings by which actress and writer?
- Isaac Hempstead-Jones played which character in Game of Thrones?
- Nicholas Young and Peter Vaughan-Clarke were original cast members of which sci-fi series first broadcast in the 1970s?
- Who appeared in Downton Abbey as Harold Levinson, Cora’s younger brother?
- Damon Beesley and Iain Morris co-wrote which sitcom, originally aired in 2008?
Category 8: Science and nature
- Which chemical term takes its name from the Greek for “same place”?
- Native to New Zealand, what type of animal is a tuatara?
- Chromhidrosis is a rare condition that causes what to turn different colours?
- What seven-letter term beginning with “g” is given to soft hail or particles of snow?
- What is aposematic colouring intended to do?
Category 9: Pot luck
- What type of creature is a twite?
- How many hours are there in the month of March?
- Which European country has the international dialling code 0034?
- How many wheels does a phaeton have?
- How was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (d.1997) better known?
Category 10: Christmas
- Who provided the voice of Arthur in the 2011 film Arthur Christmas?
- In which Bond film does Dr Christmas Jones appear?
- Who recorded the 1985 festive no.1 Merry Christmas Everyone?
- Which Christmas song by Gene Autry was the first US no. 1 of the 1950s?
- Which comic group sang I’m Walking Backwards for Christmas in 1956?
And the tie-breaker question…finish the sentence:
“The thing I’m looking forward to most in 2021 is…….”
Now let’s see how you did!.. To view the answers please click here.